Teaching Demo: Professor Anna DeMers engaging students in Margolis Method with Scene Study
ANNA SYCAMORE DEMERS
- Is a Level I-Professional Margolis Method Instructor. Her teaching centers on acting, movement and ensemble theatre.
- She is an Assistant Professor, Head of Theatre Program at Middlesex College in New Jersey and Adjunct Movement Specialist at Kean University.
- Her pedagogical practices are based on developing the total actor: body, voice and mind through psychophysical methods including: Margolis Method, Lecoq and Grotowski (Steven Wangh lineage). Courses Taught: Acting I/II, Movement & Advanced Movement, Intro to Theatre, Theatre History: Ancient/Contemporary.
- She also teaches body awareness through the lens of Laban/Bartenieff, Viewpoints and contemplative practices such as yoga and meditation.
- She completed a Master’s of Fine Arts from Sarah Lawrence College with a focus in directing and movement, and her B.A. in Theatre from Rollins College.
- She is a member of the Association of Theatre in Higher Education (ATHE) and served as Secretary for the Association for Theatre Movement Educators from 2018-2022 (ATME) under the leadership of Chelsea Pace.
- Professional Work (selected): Alluvial Shore in Your Move: New Jersey’s Modern Dance Festival, The Human Variations, four devised, site-specific performances with (Blueprint Theater Project/NYC), Speaking Of… a dance-theatre piece with (NuWorks Festival NYC, Your Move: New Jersey’s Modern Dance Festival.
- Middlesex College, Directing Credits: Company (co-dir), Thinner than Water, Laughter (devised), The Apt Plays, Mary Zimmerman's The Secret in the Wings, French Waitress, Love Shopping & Mermaids, and Twelve Ophelias.
- Kean University, Directing Credits: Orlando (co-dir), Mary Zimmerman’s The Odyssey (co-dir), Harold Pinter's The Lover, 9 Parts of Desire, and The Other Shore.